Serves: 1 person
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Cleanup Time: 2 min
Total: 12 min
WW Points: 5
This savory high-protein breakfast uses only three basic ingredients — scrambled eggs, spinach, and feta — and whips up in just 10 minutes. It’s perfect with a can of low-sodium V8 and a cup of coffee.
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1 slice fresh tomato (optional)
2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
pinch garlic salt (optional)
1⁄2 tsp coconut oil
- Heat a small non-stick skillet on medium. After a couple minutes add 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Pick up the pan and roll from side to side until bottom is coated with oil.
- While pan is heating, lightly whisk the eggs and garlic salt in a medium size bowl.
- Take several handfuls of baby spinach (about a cup, or more if desired), tearing into small pieces and adding to the eggs. Stir until the spinach is coated with egg.
- Add feta and chopped tomato and mix gently. (see note below)
- Add egg mix to pan and let eggs sit for a minute, cooking. Then stir and flip every 30 seconds or so until eggs are firm and spinach is wilted.
- Chives instead of tomatoes
- Chives instead of feta (reduces points as well)
- Avocado instead of tomato (only add at end, not during cooking; adds points)
- Kale instead of spinach (use less, adds more crunch)
- Provolone instead of feta (makes it gooey-er)
- DON’T use cooking spray. If you want to substitute the coconut oil (although I don’t know why you’d want to) use grapeseed oil or light-flavored olive oil.
- “Why not” you ask? Many cooking sprays contains chemicals and preservatives, and all of the canned ones contain propellant. Better to just use a tiny bit of oil and spread it around with a brush or a spoon (or your finger if the pan is not hot).
- You can also save the tomato and/or feta until serving time — just sprinkle the fresh ingredient on top of the eggs.
- Add fresh chopped herbs such as basil or parsley, if available.