This is a wonderful rice dish as a vegan main course or a side dish to a piece of fish or chicken. You can spice it up with any of your favorite vegetables and or hot peppers. For a protein-rich version add a drained and rinsed can of black or red beans along with the vegetables. (See note in directions.)
1 cup of fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup of fresh cauliflower, chopped
1 cup of sliced carrots
2 cups of long grain brown rice
5 1/2 cups of water
2 tablespoons of garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb or herb blend (optional)
1 can of drained beans or chickpeas (optional for protein if desired)
- Combine 2 cups of long grain brown rice and 5 1/2 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring just to a boil. Add carrots and seasonings, stir and bring to a boil. (Add 1-2 tbsp of butter or oil if desired.)
- Reduce heat and cover tightly.
- Simmer 30 minutes, then lift cover and quickly add the cauliflower and broccoli. Don’t stir.
Re-cover immediately. [To make this a complete meal with protein, you can add a can of drained beans or chickpeas right here as well. Add them first, stir the pot, then add the cauliflower and broccoli on top.]
- Simmer 15-20 minutes longer, or until rice is tender and all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff lightly with a fork and serve.
Nutritional Value of Brown Rice (1 cup cooked)
1.8 g Total Fat
0 g Cholesterol
10 mg of Sodium
84 mg of Potassium
45 g Total Carbohydrates
5 g Protein
Nutritional Values of Vegetables (1 cup raw)
.8 g Total Fat
0 mg Cholesterol
89 mg Sodium
2607 mg Potassium
15 gr Carbohydrates
5.26 g Protein